Cats triumph over Tigers in final-style match after Stewart’s “real mean act”

Geelong and Richmond played one of the games of the year on Saturday, with the lead changed three times in the final 20 minutes, but ended up in favor of the Cats at the final siren.

It was a match of finals-like intensity, both teams fighting back when challenged, but Geelong found themselves on the right side of the ledger in the three-point win in front of 59,355 fans.

Despite the remarkable nature of the clash, Tom Stewart’s gross hit, which left Dion Prestia with a concussion in the first half, will dominate the headlines.

It was ugly scenes at the start of the first quarter when Prestia was captured clinging to the trainer for support and took several minutes to leave the field.

It was an incident described by David King as “the biggest story of the weekend”, on Fox Footywhile Garry Lyon said: “It was a real average act from a player you would least expect it from.”

With Geelong playing Melbourne and Carlton in the next three weeks, Stewart’s brain fog could cost the Cats a place in the top four.

Stewart looked restless for the remainder of the game and had to be comforted in the quarter by coach Chris Scott, but was the best player on his side with 29 disposals and 745m gains.

The clash had hues of the 2020 Grand Final. A quick start from Geelong saw them more than double Richmond in the 1950s in the opening term (20-9) and jump to a three-goal lead, but the Tigers closed that one. back slowly and claimed a narrow lead in the shadows of forty-five minutes.

The grand finale from two years ago saw Richmond rise again and run out of convincing winners, but this time the Cats would be the ones reacting in the final quarter.

After Richmond kicked the first two goals of the last period, Geelong had the next six shots on target, three resulting in majors to reclaim the lead.

“They have brought the Cats back to life, they are taking risks again,” said Melbourne AFLW Captain Daisy Pearce. AFL Nation

But it only took one straight kick from Maurice Rioli to steal it back.

With only two minutes left to play, it looked set to be another exciting game with Richmond coming out on top.

Jack Henry, however, had other ideas. He plucked a big grab from the night sky to really kick from 20 yards in front of his side’s defense and did just enough to get up under immense pressure in the 90 seconds.

A defender by nature, Henry was thrown forward through injury in his first game, finishing with two goals.

He was well supported by Jeremy Cameron (three goals) who played well in his 200th game, while Tyson Stengle also enhanced his reputation as Recruit of the Year with three majors.

Geelong regains their place in the top four, but the Tigers have taken a big blow. If Collingwood beats GWS on Sunday, Hardwick’s men will drop out of the top eight.


Geelong: 5.2, 8.5, 9.8, 13.11. (89)

Richmond: 2.0, 5.3, 10.7, 13.8 (86)


Geelong: Cameron 3, Stengle 3, Henry 2, Smith, Miers, Tuohy, Blicavs, Close

Richmond: Bolton 3, Lynch 3, Rioli 2, Martin, Baker, Edwards, Clarke, Ralphsmith,


Geelong: Duncan, Guthrie, The King, Stewart, Cameron

Richmond: Vlaustin, McIntosh, Nankervis, Baker, Short


Geelong: N/A

Richmond: Prestia (concussion)