Exonerated US gunman launches target shooting video game

The American shooter did not specify which news channels he wanted to sue. (File)

San Francisco:

An American teenager who was acquitted in court after killing people amid unrest over police mistreatment of African Americans unveiled a video game on Thursday that centers on shooting at targets representing journalists.

Kyle Rittenhouse said in online posts that the money raised from the sale of the game will be used to sue “left-wing media organizations” for libel over their coverage of his 2020 case.

He didn’t specify which news outlets he wanted to sue, nor was it clear when the game would be available to play.

“It’s time to fight back against the fake news machine,” Rittenhouse said in a video posted on Twitter.

“That’s why I’m launching the Kyle Rittenhouse turkey shooting fake news video game.”

A trailer for the game, priced at $10, shows a cartoon version of Rittenhouse darting arcade-style at turkey characters labeled “fake news” from behind the cover.

Rittenhouse was acquitted by a jury late last year in the August 2020 Kenosha, Wisconsin shooting.

Rittenhouse, 17 at the time, shot dead two white men and wounded another with his AR-15 semi-automatic rifle during riots that followed anti-police protests in Kenosha.

With Rittenhouse charged with manslaughter, the jury accepted his argument that he was defending himself against attacks by the three men.

Rittenhouse said he had traveled to Kenosha from neighboring Illinois to help protect private property from damage in riots that broke out after Kenosha police shot and paralyzed a black man, Jacob Blake.

Before the incident, Rittenhouse had endorsed a “Blue Lives Matter” campaign on his Facebook page to support police. This came in the wake of heavy criticism from law enforcement for murders of black suspects, particularly the May 2020 murder of George Floyd in Minnesota.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.)