Salads are a great summer side or meal, but it’s easy to get into a salad rut. good thingfood network star Giada De Laurentiis has us covered with a salad recipe that is anything but boring. But first, she reveals the savory ingredient that takes any dish to the next level, including one of her favorite dishes: a refreshing summer salad.
Typically known for her pasta dishes and posting decadent recipes like her grilled cheese spinach dip on social media, De Laurentiis’ spin on this summer salad recipe is salivating.
On her Instagram, The Giadzy, De Laurentiis writes, “It’s a well-known fact that caramelized onions make everything better, and salad is no exception.”
And when it comes to pairing salad and onions, De Laurentiis likes to throw another surprising ingredient into the mix. A unique combination of grapefruit and caramelized onion takes De Laurentiis’ California-style vegetables to the next level.
A balance of tart lemon and tangy orange notes from the grapefruit complements the sweetness and savory flavors of the caramelized onions beautifully.
RELATED: Ina Garten adds this surprising ingredient to take her fruit salad to a whole new level
“The intensely flavorful onions + sour ruby red grapefruit provide a wonderful contrast of flavors in this beautiful salad,” adds De Laurentiis.
Adding a red wine vinegar dressing to this citrus salad makes for an even bolder, vibrant flavor that’s perfect for summer evenings.
Recipe for caramelized onion and grapefruit salad
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
Salad of caramelized onion and grapefruit
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 1 head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced or torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large fennel bulb, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- For the caramelized onions: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until onions are soft, dark, golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the red wine vinaigrette in a small bowl. Use a whisk to combine the red wine vinegar with the lemon juice and honey. Gently stir in the olive oil. Flavor with salt and pepper to taste. Put aside.
- Peel and cut the grapefruit. Add the grapefruit wedges to a salad bowl. Then add the lettuce, fennel, cucumber, spring onions and thyme. Pour the red wine vinaigrette over the salad and toss until everything is coated. Place the caramelized onions on top. Enjoying.
This luxurious salad dotted with pink grapefruit is suitable as an aperitif or as an appetizer and is a great side dish for “lighter” dishes. With its refreshing sweet and sour flavors, this dish pairs well with chicken, shrimp, or salmon.