New biosecurity zone established after deadly Varroa mite discovered on three more NSW properties

A new biosecurity zone has been established in New South Wales after Varroa mite was discovered in beehives on three other properties.

It comes as the destruction of hundreds of beehives in Newcastle and parts of New South Wales has begun as authorities work to contain the spread of the deadly parasite.

The detection of the Varroa destructor — commonly referred to as the Varroa mite — in Newcastle harbor last week triggered a 10-kilometer-long extermination zone and halted all movements of bees across the state.

The latest zone concerns a contaminated property in Bulahdelah on the Mid North Coast, which is outside the previous zones, said Secretary of State for Agriculture Dugald Saunders.

“A new 10km extermination zone, 25km surveillance zone and an expanded 50km biosecurity zone have been put in place to quickly halt that new invasion and halt further spread,” Saunders said.

“Critically, this case is directly related to a previously identified property, demonstrating that the Department of Primary Industries’ prompt and efficient response is working well.”

The other two cases identified on Tuesday are in Newcastle and Seaham.

Seven infected buildings have now been discovered through contact tracing.

Hives that must be destroyed

The Department of Primary Industries and Local Land Services has so far set aside 300 beehives in the zone that will be destroyed in the coming days.

“So far six sentry hives and three private beehives have been destroyed near Newcastle and will remain so for the next day,” Saunders said.

One hundred and twenty hives were also destroyed in Trangie on Monday after government contact tracers discovered that a commercial beekeeper near the harbor had recently sent some of his hives to the region.

    A man in a blue suit and shirt stands outside and talks.
Dugald Saunders says 120 beehives have been destroyed in Trangie in Central West NSW.ABC news

“While no actual mite has been found in Trangie’s beehives, the decision was made to destroy them as well as they were under the same ownership,” Saunders said.

He said investigations were continuing to identify other possible movements that may have spread the parasite.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to search, up and down arrows for volume.

Play audio.  Duration: 8 minutes 25 seconds

Why Newcastle could be the start of a bee collapse in Australia
To download 7.7MB

“What we’re really doing now is a lot of research work to see where other hives have traveled to.

Beekeepers Devastated

Peter King runs a 130-year-old apiary in Cardiff and says a new sense of optimism in the sector has been ruined.

“When COVID started, people got into it [beekeeping] and that’s how we’ve been for the past few years,” he said.

Posted updated