ADVERTISEMENT

Red Dead Online won’t get ‘major’ updates as Rockstar shifts to next GTA game

ADVERTISEMENT

Red Dead Online will no longer receive “major themed content updates”, in part because Rockstar Games is pulling resources to the next one Grand Theft Auto title, the studio said Thursday. Fans have wondered if Red Dead Online has been abandoned, and while the game isn’t shutting down, Rockstar won’t be making as much content for it in the future.

“Over the past few years, we have steadily moved more development resources to the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series – we understand more than ever the need to exceed player expectations and make this next entry the best it can be – and as a result, we’re making some changes to the way we provide support. Red Dead OnlineRockstar wrote in a blog post.

As for the future of Red Dead Online, “In addition to seasonal special events and experience improvements – plus other changes to improve and maintain a healthy Red Dead Online environment – we plan to build on existing modes and add new Telegram missions this year, instead of delivering major themed content updates as in previous years, and we will continue to highlight and share the creative efforts of our Red Dead community at every opportunity through the Newswire and beyond,” Rockstar said.

Ahead of Rockstar’s announcement on Thursday, a red death franchise fan account had been plan a funeral in front of Red Dead Online for July 13, the one year anniversary of the game’s most recent major content update. The funeral is still scheduled for next week

Rockstar finally confirmed in February that it is working on the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series. The studio also continues to add content to GTA Online, and it detailed some of the updates in the works in its Thursday blog post.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT