Seven dead in Aden car bomb in Yemen

Seven people were killed in a car bomb on Wednesday.

At least seven people were killed on Wednesday in a car bomb attack on the convoy of a security officer in the government-controlled city of Aden in South Yemen, security sources said.

The blast “targeted the convoy of Lahij Governorate Security Director Saleh al-Sayed in the Khor Maksar neighborhood of central Aden,” a source told AFP.

At least four soldiers and three civilians were killed in the explosion, the source added, speaking on condition of anonymity.

A Yemeni journalist was killed earlier in June when a bomb exploded in his car in Aden.

Yemen has been in the throes of war since 2014, when Iran-backed Huthi rebels captured the capital Sanaa, forcing the government to flee to Aden and then go into exile in Saudi Arabia.

A Saudi Arabia-led military intervention launched in 2015 has enabled the government to restore Aden and much of the south.

But the fighting has left hundreds of thousands dead and millions more displaced in what the United Nations calls the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.


Never miss a story again. Choose from our range of newsletters to get the news you want straight to your inbox.

We live in a world where facts and fiction fade

In times of uncertainty, you need journalism you can rely on. For 14 free days, you’ll have access to a world of in-depth analysis, investigative journalism, top-notch advice and a host of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. After that you will be charged € 75 per month. You can cancel at any time and if you cancel within 14 days you will not be charged.