ADVERTISEMENT

Shooting in the streets of Melbourne takes a turn

ADVERTISEMENT

An unsolved shooting in the streets of Melbourne has taken a turn for the worse as police continue to investigate the movements of key players.

The circumstances surrounding a murder in southeastern Melbourne – in which a man was allegedly shot with a shovel outside a house – has taken a turn for the worse, with police releasing another man from investigation as the investigation continues.

Emergency services were called to a street in Cranbourne on Wednesday evening after receiving reports of shots fired at around 8pm.

Police arrived at an address in Lecky St and found a 43-year-old man dead in the street.

The man, who has yet to be identified, is said to have wielded a shovel before being shot.

A 49-year-old man who lived in the house near Cranbourne Secondary College was arrested on the spot.

However, the police released the man on Thursday evening pending further investigation.

Police believe the deceased had a verbal altercation with another man earlier in the day before returning shortly after 8pm.

“We believe the two men were at the address several hours prior to this incident, and it is clear that a man returned shortly after 8:00 am,” said Homicide Detective Detective Inspector Dean Thomas.

“We’re trying to find out if that was one of them that was there before, to see if that’s related.

“We strongly believe at this point that the man who visited the property shortly after 8pm may have been armed with a shovel.”

Police say the alleged murder appears to be unrelated to other shootings in the city in recent times.

A drive-by shooting took place in the northern suburbs on Tuesday, hours after a man armed with a screwdriver was shot by police.

Ex-Mongolian cyclist Suleiman “Sam” Abdulrahim was shot two days earlier and his attackers have yet to be caught.

“At this stage, there is no link to other wider organized crime groups,” Detective Inspector Thomas said.

“There is nothing to link this incident from last night to other shooting incidents that have occurred in Melbourne over the past week.”

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has dashcam or CCTV footage is requested to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333,000 or submit a confidential report online at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

Read related topics:Melbourne

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT